Sunday, March 13

First Thoughts on Fitzgerald

Now this might sound strange but in all seriousness, I'm not interested in what F. Scott Fitzgerald writes about, when it's written by anyone else.  It's full of parties and alcohol and people and stuff that feels uncomfortable or just plain uninteresting to read about, but there is something incredible about his style that draws me in on a keen hook.  He paints this world of 1910s America, full of 'jazz babies' and 'shakers and movers', in a way that I feel like another girl out there in New York, full of independence, jaunty flair and feminine pizazz.  It is always so refreshing and exhilarating to read his books!  

Oh how he rivets me!  I never get bored.   His style prevents me from ever experiencing a dull second, and I can just read for hours on end without tiring.  He says things that make me just smile as I go.  Things like:

"...up toward the frosted wedding-cake of the ceiling..."

and

"For a moment the last sunshine fell with romantic affection under her glowing face - then the glow faded, each light deserting her with lingering regret, like children leaving a pleasant street at dusk"

Both of these little joys were plucked straight out of Chapter 1 of The Great Gatsby, (published 1926).  Do  you get what I mean?  Maybe you should be detoxing your reading life and picking up Fitzgerald with me!

2 comments:

  1. Yes you have independence, jaunty flair and feminine pizazz I can see it in the spaces bettween the letters expecialy the upper case and round sweeping lower case e, c, d,and y.
    You move me to pick up that book and fall head lond into the sintax ot the ink. thank you book florist
    regards David Art

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Book Florist, thankyou for today's bouquet - it certainly made me smile & I'm sure the lolly-sweet fragrance of those words will undoubtedly linger with me in the days ahead & tempt me to deeper inhalations, perhaps intoxication!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to respond to my post or start a new conversation about whatever it is that you're passionate about.

If you don't have a Blogger or Google account, you can always leave an anonymous comment. Thankyou for taking the time!