Sunday, March 13

Orwell and the Cuttlefish

My tradition, I think, will be this.  I will (try to): 
  • Put a new quote up every week,
  • Have a poll going (hopefully) almost always, and
  • Put a new book cover up, whenever I start a new book.
That's sustainable.  Anyway, it is consequently time for a new quote.  I will miss George Orwell, though, and I can totally imagine a you all sitting in bed with the quilt all wrapped up with your laptop on your knees, gently sobbing to yourself about the loss.  So I'll write the quote down here for you, so you will always remember it. 
"The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns, as it were, instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish squirting out ink," - George Orwell.

Isn't it lovely?  I really think it's true.  I'll try to put quite a few quotes from George Orwell up as we go.  They really are all extremely clever. 


Here he is, in fact.  Looking wistfull.  Can't wait until we start 1984 and actually hear him speak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment to respond to my post or start a new conversation about whatever it is that you're passionate about.

If you don't have a Blogger or Google account, you can always leave an anonymous comment. Thankyou for taking the time!