Friday, May 27

Finding and Folding

As you already know, I am currently designing a proccess drama as an assignment, and I have decided, after numerous little tribulations, to base it off the spectacular Shaun Tan book, The Arrival.  In this picture book, the main character, an immigrant, writes letter to his family, folding them in the shape of a paper crane for his daughter.  I fancifully thought that it would be utterly delightful to have my participants fold their messages into cranes, as one of the conventions in the narrative, and so, with this luminous vision in mind, trotted onto the web to find some instructions. 

I'm sure that everybody in the world has tried to be good at origami.  It's the same sort of attraction that makes the idea of being a Rubik's cube, sudoku or tapdancing prodigy appealing.  And everybody in the world who has felt this appeal has been sooner or later stumped, snubbed and stomped on by the blatant lack of intelligible instructions! 

Several web pages, fingers and square papers later, I was now at least 20 points lower in IQ and beginning to feel pessimistic.  Then I found this little Youtube number. 

This guy shows (and what's more, tell you how) to fold a paper crane, and he does it much more simply than any other site I visited.  He explains very clearly and not too fast, so that there is a 90% chance that if you have a brain larger than a peanut, you WILL BE ABLE TO DO ORIGAMI. 



You are very welcome.  My fanciful dreams of paper crane messages lives another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment to respond to my post or start a new conversation about whatever it is that you're passionate about.

If you don't have a Blogger or Google account, you can always leave an anonymous comment. Thankyou for taking the time!