Thursday, December 22

Eating Animals

I want this to be a post that you really pay attention to because I've got all excited over this in such a short amount of time and want to share it desperately!

I went to the library yesterday to pick up a hold, and ended up with a copy of Women in Love by D. H. Lawrence and Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer.  Yes, our Jonathan Safran Foer.  This is his non-fiction work loosely about, as the title suggests, 'eating animals'. 

Along with my two other new loans, I started the book yesterday afternoon, and have hardly been able to put it down.  I used to be a huge non-fiction reader until I was about twelve, and I haven't read any since besides the little required for school.  But being the sort of writer he is, even without the preliminary interest, or even curiosity, in the subject that is usually required of a reader to enjoy a work of non-fiction, Jonathan Safran Foer has got me completely riveted to his study. 

It is not at all the case that I'm fascinated by animal welfare, rights, agriculture, the species barrier, organic food, vegetarianism, or any of the other areas he covers.  What I'm fascinated by is his incredible ability to tell stories, and force me to completely re-evaluate and assess my attitudes, beliefs, and values towards these topics. 

In his second part, 'Words/Meanings', he has alphabetical headings of all the terms and abbreviations related to the topic and defines and analyses these words so that we can logically comprehend what they consist of and how they influence and effect. 

There are so many parts of this book that I want to show purely for the point of proving how amazingly he writes, but if I was to do that, I might as well just hand you the book and tell you to read it all. 

You don't need to be interested specifically.  He makes this incredibly approachable, incredibly available, and unbelievably captivating.  He allows you to understand every aspect, from a new perspective or from a perspective at all as is my case, since I had never really thought about it before.  It's exciting, because I'm thinking now about things I'd never considered and realising the truth behind them.  It doesn't make me want to become a radical environmental animal rights campaigner, but its opening new doorways of my mind to me. 

There is so much now for me to consider!  I am overwhelmed with opportunities to rethink and dwell on understanding.  What an experience!  Pick up this book!  This redefines writing for me - how one can give another these new thoughts!  It's truly incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment to respond to my post or start a new conversation about whatever it is that you're passionate about.

If you don't have a Blogger or Google account, you can always leave an anonymous comment. Thankyou for taking the time!