Friday, February 7

Embrace Logophilia with Me

Looking back I realised I haven't done a post about words I love in ages!  It's about time to get back to the origin of logophilic bliss!  

aureole noun: the circle of light surrounding something especially around the head of someone represented as holy
beetling adjective: projective or overhanging (especially a rock or a person's eyebrows!  How random is it that they specified eyebrows of all things?  This really made me laugh but I love the onomatopoeic sound.)
cosmogyral adjective: whirling around the universe (does this make you think of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
catoptric adjective: relating to a mirror, reflector or reflection 
emollient adjective: having the quality of softening of soothing skin
frisson noun: sudden strong feeling of excitement or fear; a thrill  (I need to learn to use this word more often, it's so fabulous.)
genuflection noun: the act of bending the knees in worship or reverance
inveigle verb: persuade via deception or flattery (not only is this word fun to say, but I can imagine contexts where I could whip it out: "stop INVEIGLING me Sharon!" etc.)
kenopsia noun: the eerie and forlorn atmosphere of a place that's usually bustling with people but is now abandoned and quiet (I LOVE this word.  It often reminds me of schools on holidays or shopping centres after closing hours.  It's enchanting.)
miasm noun: oppresive or unpleasant atmosphere that surrounds or emanates from something
nacreous adjective: consisting of or resembling mother-of-pearl (I'm delighted there's a word for this!)
roister verb: enjoy oneself in a noisy or boisterous way
sonder verb: the realisation that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own (this breaks my heart, this is so true!)
sillage noun: the scent that lingers in air; the impression made in space after someone has been and gone (what a poetic concept with an oddly unfitting word to describe it...)
verdigris noun: bright bluish-green crust or patina formed on copper or brass by atmospheric oxidation


Taking the time to leaf back through my book of words did fill me with happiness.  I must remember to do that more often!  Which of these words do you adore and what others fill your heart with gladness?  I'd love to hear what words make your poetic heart burst!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment to respond to my post or start a new conversation about whatever it is that you're passionate about.

If you don't have a Blogger or Google account, you can always leave an anonymous comment. Thankyou for taking the time!